We use music to help us get through difficult situations. Music, like the memories of our loved ones who have passed away, lasts for generations. Music may provide us calm, whether we are confronting our own mortality or the loss of a loved one or friend.
We can find peaceful introspection to express and experience our feelings through music. It takes us on a memory-filled trip and reminds us that we are not alone. Light a candle, take a comfortable seat, turn on the music, and let these songs soothe your mind and heart.
Best Sad Songs About Death
When it comes to dying, sadness is one of the most frequent feelings. It’s critical to recognize our grief and allow us to lean into death’s anguish.
- “My Heart Will Go On” by Celine Dion`
- A timeless song that teaches us that love endures beyond death.
- “Tears In Heaven” by Eric Clapton
- It’s alright to mourn and lament the loss of a loved one.
- “Angel” by Sarah McLachlan
- Get a tissue box ready for this one! In a moment of tremendous sadness, it’s a bittersweet hymn of hope and comfort.
- “Time to Say Goodbye” by Andrea Bocelli and Sarah Brightman
- A beautiful serenade that aids us in coming to terms with bidding goodbye to a loved one when they pass away.
- “Fire and Rain” by James Taylor
- After learning about the death of a beloved friend, James Taylor wrote this song in 1970. Taylor discusses his concerns regarding his family’s desire to keep this a secret.
- “Hurt” by Johnny Cash
- A melancholy ballad about the loneliness and shame that often accompany dying. Nine Inch Nails wrote the original, but the Johnny Cash cover tugged at our heartstrings a little more.
- “Whiskey Lullaby” by Brad Paisley and Alison Kraus
- A terrible story of a widow who loses her spouse and is forced to face her own mortality.
- “I’ll Be Missing You” by Diddy, Faith Evans, 112
- A famous 1990s song about going back in time and the sorrow of death.
- “If Tomorrow Never Comes” by Garth Brooks
- This song is about death and the hope that our loved ones understand how much we love them.
- “Wake Me Up When September Ends” by Green Day
- It’s acceptable if death feels like a big burden on our shoulders at times.
Best Happy Songs About Death
Death doesn’t have to be gloomy all of the time. It’s a part of life, and it’s often honored in various cultures.
- “Live and Die” by The Avett Brothers
- A wonderful song that reminds us that death is something we all share in common.
- “Spirit in the Sky” by Norman Greenbaum
- A catchy music about accepting our mortality and what could happen beyond.
- “Only The Good Die Young” by Billy Joel
- This song was written by Billy Joel as a humorous encouragement to enjoy life to the fullest.
- “Beloved” by Mumford & Sons
- A lovely, energetic song that urges us to say what we have to say.
- “See You Again” by Wiz Khalifa and Charlie Puth
- Even after death, a love tie is never broken, as this song tells us.
- “I’ll Fly Away” by Gillian Welch Alison Kraus (Written by Hank Williams)
- A calming, uplifting song about accepting death when it comes.
- “Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door” by Bob Dylan
- A thought about facing death’s dread in a calm manner.
- “One More Day” by Diamond Rio
- This song captures the need we all have to spend one more day with our loved ones.
- “Dream On” by Aerosmith
- A message to take every opportunity and live life to the fullest till the bittersweet end.
- “American Pie” by Don McLean
- An uplifting song about the music that survived the deaths of three well-known musicians.
These cheerful songs can be included in your bespoke memorial slideshow or another section of the event if you’re arranging a celebration of life or memorial service on a virtual funeral service.
Best Upbeat Songs About Death
These songs remind us that it’s perfectly okay to bring levity and fun to the subject of dying.
- Highway to Hell by AC/DC
- This rock song imagines what it’s like to be on a voyage to hell.
- “The Great Gig in the Sky” by Pink Floyd
- Because this song is meant to be a rhythmic examination of death, it does not include lyrics.
- “It’s The End of the World as We Know It (And I Feel Fine)” by R.E.M.
- A piece of pleasant music that suggests death is approaching and that there is nothing to be afraid about.
- “Driving Nails in My Coffin” by Ernest Tubb
- This is an old country song about getting closer to death.
- “Last Kiss” by Pearl Jam
- A cheerful musical composition about the loss of a loved one in a tragic accident.
- “People Who Died” by The Jim Carroll Band
- Listening to this horrific music about death, it’s nearly difficult not to tap your foot.
- “(I Just) Died in Your Arms Tonight” by Cutting Crew
- This classic song from the 1980s highlighted the many little deaths we encounter in life.
- “Another One Bites the Dust” by Queen
- A song that examines impermanence and reflects the fact that death occurs at any time.
- “(Don’t Fear) The Reaper” by Blue Oyster Cult
- An invitation to society to let go of the death taboo.
- “I Shot The Sheriff” by Eric Clapton
- A song about a life-or-death conflict between a sheriff and a civilian.
Best Calming Songs About Death
When the thought of death weighs heavily on your mind, turn up the volume and let these songs calm you.
- “Unchained Melody” by The Righteous Brothers
- A well-known song that withstands the test of time and warms the heart.
- “I’ll Stay With You” by Beth Hart
- This song emphasizes the relationship with a departed loved one and alludes to the possibility of an afterlife.
- “The Last Goodbye” by Billy Boyd
- A heartfelt contemplation on life’s final chapter.
- “I Will Follow You Into the Dark” by Death Cab for Cutie
- A lovely song to express a special friendship or love relationship.
- “Let It Be” by The Beatles
- This uplifting song reminds us that death is something we can face with calm and acceptance.
- “Remember Me” by Miguel
- This charming lullaby gained popularity after appearing in the Pixar picture CoCo, in which a young child explores the Land of the Dead.
- “Live Like You Were Dying” by Tim McGraw
- Before it’s too late, an invitation to live the life of our desires.
- “I Can Only Imagine” by MercyMe
- A religious hymn about a person who believes in life after death.
- “Wind Beneath My Wings” by Bette Midler
- A touching song to remind us of how much we value our loved ones.
- “If I Die Young” by The Band Perry
- A young person’s view on dying, with a lovely comment on life.
Best Angry Songs About Death
Death is a subject that elicits a wide range of emotions. Allowing ourselves to express our grief over death is beneficial.
- “Fade to Black” by Metallica
- This song addresses the emotions of being angry at life and tranquil at death.
- “Here Without You” by 3 Doors Down
- A song about longing for someone who has passed away.
- “I Will Not Say Goodbye” by Danny Gokey
- This song allows us to dwell in our pain as long as we need to.
- “Until the Day I Die” by Story Of The Year
- Heartbreak is compared to death in this angry song.
- “Ready to Die” by The Notorious B.I.G
- It’s about murder and not being frightened to die for no reason.
- “Soil” by System of A Down
- A song on the feelings of remorse and sorrow that follow the loss of a dear friend.
- “Black Parade” by My Chemical Romance
- A son’s account of his father discussing death with him.
- “Gone Away” by The Offspring
- This song is about the agony and sting of death.
- “Slipped Away” by Avril Lavigne
- Avril Lavigne wrote this song for her grandfather, and it reflects her tremendous anguish and remorse over his death.
- “Dead” by My Chemical Romance
- At the time of death, not all partnerships end on a happy note. The sentiments of saying farewell to someone you didn’t like are explored in this song.